This is the epitome of holiday flavors wrapped up in a loaf of bread. Tart fresh cranberries, sweet oranges, and savory pecans are an amazing combo and make your house smell SO delicious!
▪ 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
▪ 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
▪ 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
▪ 2/3 cup buttermilk
▪ 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
▪ 1 large egg, lightly beaten
▪ 2 cups all-purpose flour
▪ 1 cup granulated sugar
▪ 1 teaspoon salt
▪ 1 teaspoon baking powder
▪ 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
▪ 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries (6 ounces), coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. In a small bowl, stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir liquid ingredients into the dry until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.
3. Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth surface with a rubber spatula. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before serving, at least 1 hour.
This recipe makes one loaf of bread but can also be made into mini loaves or muffins.
Bags of fresh cranberries can be tossed in the freezer! A helpful hint for when you find a good sale and stock up so you can make this bread year round.
This recipe was originally posted here.