Who knew that coconut and carrot paired so well together? It’s different but delicious and is sure to help you eat your veggies.
▪ 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
▪ 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
▪ 1 clove garlic, diced
▪ 1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
▪ Salt and pepper, to taste
▪ Pinch of cayenne pepper
▪ 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
▪ 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (14 oz)
▪ Drizzle of sriracha sauce (optional, but yummy)
▪ Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir often until the carrots are softened, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Stir in the broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft and the liquid has slightly reduced, about 40-45 minutes.
3. Let the soup cool slightly, then puree it with an immersion blender or very carefully in a regular blender. Reheat it in the pot when ready to serve, thinning it with water and seasoning with extra salt and pepper if needed.
4. Dish the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of sriracha and a sprig of cilantro if wanted.
Recipe makes 4 servings but is very easy to make a double batch.
If pureeing the soup in a regular blender, be very careful. Make sure to hold the lid down tightly otherwise it will explode and send hot soup everywhere. Don’t learn this messy lesson the hard way!