By Our Recipe Contributor, Rebecca Spoolstra
Take French toast to the next level by adding coconut! The shredded coconut adds some nice texture plus coconut milk makes the classic custard base extra delicious.
▪ 3 large eggs
▪ 3/4 cup coconut milk
▪ 1/2 tsp coconut extract
▪ 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
▪ 1/8 tsp salt
▪ 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
▪ 6 slices of French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, coconut extract, vanilla extract, and salt. Place the shredded coconut on a plate.
2. Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture. Then dip both sides of the coated bread into the shredded coconut. Drizzle a little egg mixture on top of the coconut to make it stick to the bread if needed.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan or a griddle to medium to medium-high heat. Cook the slices of bread until golden brown on one side then turn and cook the other side.
4. Serve immediately or keep it warm in a 250 degree F oven. Serve with butter, syrup, or whatever else you might want to top it with. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 2-3 servings. But there is enough of the liquid mixture to coat a double batch of 12 slices if you want to make a larger quantity. You’ll just need to use extra shredded coconut.
If you don’t happen to have coconut milk, you can always sub regular milk and still get a nice coconut flavor between the shredded coconut and extract.
This recipe was originally posted here.