These toasted pecans make an awesome snack or would be the perfect unique addition to your holiday spread. The chocolate with a hint of heat is out of this world delicious!
▪ 4 cups pecan halves
▪ 1 egg white
▪ 2/3 cup sugar
▪ 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
▪ 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
▪ 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
▪ 1 pinch cayenne pepper
▪ 1 pinch ground allspice
1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, use a silicone baking mat, or lightly grease the sheet to keep them from sticking.
2. Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, and all the spices in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk the egg white until it is thick and frothy and add in the pecans. Stir them to coat evenly. Add the cocoa mixture and combine until the pecans are evenly coated.
3. Scoop the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove, toss the pecans, and place them back in the oven for 20 more minutes. After the first 40 minutes, check the pecans to see if the coating doesn’t crumble off. If it does, place them back in the oven for 20 more minutes, otherwise let them cool and then serve!
This recipe makes 4 cups.
If pecans aren’t your thing, you can absolutely substitute another kind of nut! Also, if you like a little more spice in your life, feel free to add a few extra pinches of cayenne.
This recipe was originally posted here.